1908 Marion High School

Photo: Postcard Showing Marion Graded School – Smyth County Historical Society Archives

1908-1909 Marion High School

Originally built as Marion’s first high school (although similar schooling had been taking place in other locations such as Miller’s Academy on College Street as well as another school building on this same site), this building was also used as a grammar school and later a public library. It also contained offices for Smyth County School Board as well as other county offices and was also home to the Smyth County Museum & Historical Society. Today the building houses the Wayne C. Henderson School of Appalachian Art.